Saturday 26 September 2015

Singapore Tourist {Part One}

As I mentioned in my post a couple days ago, I’ve been away.

The Man and I popped over to Singapore for 11 days. It was a holiday, a visit to my sister, brother-in-law and nephew for his first birthday and the Grand Prix all rolled into one.

But first an apology. 

Here is an example of the usual beautiful Singapore skyline vs. what it is like at the moment (courtesy of my sister). 


Singapore is currently experiencing some really controversial pollution caused by Indonesia (read more on the BBC news site) so there weren’t many blues skies around. Most of my photos are dull in colour and don’t have great backgrounds but hey, at least you know they’re real! 

But on to the holiday!

We woke at the crack of dawn to head to the airport. Literally.


We arrived bleary eyed in need of lots of tea. 


So headed straight to Jamie’s Italian and eagerly gobbled down Smoked Salmon and Scrambled eggs and a Full Fry-Up.



We hopped on the plane and waited for day to turn to night...


...and then day to come back again...


... landing in time to head straight to my nephews birthday party. 

^ two very bleary eyed travellers! 

We spent the whole weekend celebrating Seb’s birthday and catching up. Family time took priority so I don't have much to share. Instead, I’ll leave you with pictures of this incredible home made birthday cake!! 



On Monday morning we made a conscious effort to get up and out and tackle jet-lag straight on. We hopped on a local bus and went over to Robertson Quay. Known for it's huge offering of great restaurants, it was still asleep when we arrived so we meandered our way along to Clarke Quay.





I made some friends along the way, 


^ I think he had just offended me 

And took in the artwork and sculptures along the waterfront 





^Hi Liz! 

All the way down to Boat Quay in the direction of Marina Bay


Where we spied the perfect place for a cup of tea. 



This incredible building was originally the Post Office in the 1920s (I know right?!) but is now a beautiful hotel, and they serve a damn good cup of tea and macaroon. 




Suitably rested, we set off for China Town. 


Dress: Cotton On // Handbag: Longchamp

Thian Hock Keng temple is worth a visit, even if just to appreciate how intricate and beautiful it is. 



^China town is right next the the Central Business District and so surrounded by sky scrapers.


The legend goes that if you ring the bells and mak a donation a wish will be granted for your generosity. 
So I gave it a go. 



We looked around the rest of the temple





And then explored China town some more. 








Tummies rumbling, we looked for somewhere to eat. 
Options ranged from cool looking restaurants 


To the the weird and exotic 



But we settled on some local Hawker food for $5 (about £2.50!) 

^apologies - I wasn’t given any warning… at least the food looks good! 

After lunch we popped to the other side of the CBD to see the Merlion (weirdest statue ever?)



I then had to run to a meeting in the afternoon but we re-convened our tourist tour at Gardens by the Bay





I had a quick ride on an elephant… 


…before heading into the Cloud Forest which houses the worlds tallest indoor waterfall (bet you didn't think that was a thing) and recreates the climate found in a rainforest. 












We had planned to head to Marina Bay Sands for a sun set drink but the pollution had become so bad during the day (and I was knackered) that we decided to save it for another day.


Hopefully you made it to the end of this post - apologies for it being so photo heavy!!
Note to self: be more selective about photos! 

I'll be popping up part 2 tomorrow, with separate posts of Sentosa and the Grand Prix on their way too so stay tuned (or don't, if you don't want to see any more Singapore)!

Thank you for reading and I really hope you enjoyed! 

CB x

No comments:

Post a Comment